January 16, 2019

Anderson: One Year

How? How is my baby already one? 
I'm never sentimental about my babies reaching age milestones, because for me, I LOVE the toddler stage. The baby stage is hard for me, so as I much as I try to enjoy it, in the back of my head I'm always thinking, "hurry and get bigger so we can get to the REALLY good stuff." But, for some reason, Anderson's first birthday is hitting me with all of the mushy feels. I've been an emotional wreck over it, and I spent a good deal of the day crying on his "big" day...mainly because I'm just overwhelmed with gratitude for him. I've said it before, but the transition into motherhood was not easy for me. As much as I ADORED Wren, and even though she was a delightful baby, it was a dark time in my life. So, when I found out I was pregnant with Anderson, I was immediately gripped with anxiety and trepidation that I would slide back into that dark place again. But from the moment this child was born, he has brought nothing but JOY into my life (despite his hatred of sleep and his calculated plan to kill me with sleep deprivation in the first six months of his life). Honestly, if there is one word I could choose to encapsulate the essence of Anderson, it is, "Joyful" (followed closely by tenacious). He makes everyone smile, and exudes goodness. So, I'll say it again: I am supremely grateful that he was given to me. And that I was tasked with being his mother...I don't deserve him most of the time, but I'll keep trying to be the mom that he needs. 

Weight/Length: Who knows? He has his one year check up soon...

Milestones:
Anderson is no longer walking these days. He has decided that he needs to RUN everywhere he goes. He especially loves to chase his sister around the house while they both cackle with delight. He also loves to tackles her and has become quite the decent wrestler as of late. Anderson has also taken to climbing on top of EVERYTHING. He is a walking bruise, and usually has a constellation of purple and green spots across his forehead. Anderson also likes to get into everything too. No drawer or cupboard is safe when he is around. Mommy and Daddy never had to baby proof drawers and cupboards with big sister, but that has NOT been the case with Anderson. He needs to disembowel EVERYTHING within his reach. Anderson continues to be a waver and a clapper. He waves "hi" and "bye" to everyone, and claps at every "good job!" he hears. He is also starting to learn his body parts and can identify his belly, his head, and other people's eyes. His idea of pointing out Mommy and Daddy's eyes is to try to gouge them out with his fingernail...so that's pleasant. Anderson is also starting to learn his animal sounds and can do a pretty impressive elephant noise. He is also working on his "oink," but it comes out more as a growl. Unlike his sister, Anderson is not much of a talker. Probably because he usually has a pacifier in is mouth. He says "Mama" and "Dada" consistently, and has recently added "dog" into his vocabulary. He does like to mimic sounds though, and will mimic pretty much anything you say to him. 

Loves:
Everyone. Anderson is such a social guy, and basically spends his life smiling at other people. He also loves all fruits and likes to smash them in his hand before eating him (Mom HATES the messes he makes while eating, but has learned how to deal). Anderson continues to love books, and will walk over to Mommy, turn around, and plop into her lap whenever he sees her holding a book. He likes to turn the pages on command, and especially loves interactive books ("Lift the Flap" and "Touch and Feel" are at the top of his list). 

Hates:
Basically all food. If Anderson finds a food that he likes, he will devour it with gusto, and will eat it in large quantities. But...finding food that he likes is a struggle lately, because he pretty much hates 99.9% of what he is offered. He spits out almost everything, and throws it over the side of his highchair. It is driving his Mommy and Daddy crazy! He would subsist on bread and fruit if it were up to him, but Mommy and Daddy still try to force a more balanced diet on him, with VERY minimal success. He seems to have an aversion to most textures (Mommy blames Daddy, because he also hates most foods and their textures), so it's a constant (uphill) battle. Besides his food issues, Anderson doesn't have too many "hates." He is one of the most easy-going babies on the planet. The only other culprit that could be labeled as a "dislike" is his distaste for containment. High chairs, car seats, strollers, shopping carts, baby gates...he is not their biggest fan. But, despite this, he is still generally content after a few unhappy squawks. 

 








No comments :

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...