November 02, 2011

Love, Lord, Husband, Friend...

Is there anything more beautiful than Shakespeare's lyrical language? I think not. His ability to tweak the English language into music, without one note being struck, seriously leaves me scratching my head. How did he do it? If I had even an OUNCE of that ability, I would be one happy lady.

So imagine my delight when Graham informed me that we were going to attend the San Diego Shakespeare Society's informal reading of Romeo and Juliet in Seaport Village last night. I was giddy.
Five minutes into the reading, after noticing the goofy grin on my face, Graham leaned over to me and whispered, "I knew you would love this crap. You're such a dork," (I chose to take that as a compliment).

To Graham's horror, he was even asked to read a couple of lines. I wish I had gotten a picture of the look on his face. Deer in the headlights about sums it up. He played the HIGHLY integral part of "1st Citizen." The play would not have been a success without him! His lines you ask?

1st citizen: Which way ran he that kill'd Mercutio? Tybalt, that murderer, which way ran he?

Benvolio: There lies that Tybalt.

1st citizen: Up, sir, go with me; I charge thee in the Prince's name, obey.

He was a hit. I was hoping he would read them with a British accent, but alas...he did not. I may or may not have spoken with an English accent myself for the remainder of the night. I also may or may not have walked through Seaport village afterwards quoting Romeo and Juliet while using VERY expressive hand gestures. My husband may or may not have been embarrassed.

While we attended last night for Graham to receive extra credit in his English class, I think it will become a monthly tradition! It's going to take some time to convince my husband of this...but I have my heart set on reading the part of Juliet. In the meantime, I'll be practicing my accent...Graham will be thrilled!


On a funny side note...my dad began a conversation today with this statement...
"So, last night I was watching weimaraner videos on youtube..." That's about as far as he got before I lost it laughing. My dad is SO obsessed with his dog. 
Over and out.

No comments :

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...