December 27, 2011

A little Imagination...

I've always known that I have a vivid imagination. Whether my love of reading created this imagination, or my imagination is the reason I love reading, I'm not sure. It's like the chicken and the egg. Which came first?
I had a discussion recently with a couple of family members and my husband in which "day dreaming" was the topic of conversation. My dad is literally the world's biggest day dreamer, followed closely by my husband. My dad revealed that the object of his day dreaming is usually Yosemite...as well as a a plethora of other hiking destinations. Random, I know. But check out this hat. Any man that is comfortable wearing this kind of hat is bound to be an original:
Haha...anywho, we then went around the table revealing the things that fill our imaginations, and what each person day dreams about. For my husband, it was riding motorcycles. My brother? concerts.
To my horror, I quickly realized that I am not normal.
While the rest of my family's thoughts are consumed by dream vacations, possessions, pastimes, etc, my mind travels down a different path. I construct stories in my head: characters, hypothetical situations, conflicts...you name it. At any given point in time, I have about ten stories in the works, at varying degrees of completion. I was hesitant to reveal my day dreaming escapades, and I realized that my fears were quite well-founded. My family, especially my husband, looked at me like I was crazy, and my Dad flat out told me that I am most definitely abnormal. I can't tell you how many times my husband said over the course of the night, "Whit...I'm worried. I don't know you at all." While he said this as a joke, I think there was at least a figment of truth in his statement.
My husband thinks I'm weird.
Oh well, at least I have my stories to turn to; either the ones written by others, or the ones I construct in my head...

No comments :

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...