January 26, 2012

Let the Games Begin...

I received an email from the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing last week. It said the following:

Congratulations, the Commission on Teacher Credentialing issued you the following document:

Preliminary Single Subject Teaching Credential
Issuance Date: 12/30/2011
Expiration Date: 01/01/2017
Authorized Subjects: Social Science (Examination)



I am OFFICIALLY a teacher. Yikes. That's a scary thought.
Today was my last day of student teaching. It's bittersweet. I don't want to be done with these kids. I'll miss my students, and hopefully, they'll miss me too. Amongst the many hugs, well-wishes, and complimentary comments, I had a student tell me as he was leaving today:
"Mrs. Russell, I just want you to know that you're the best teacher I've ever had, and I'm really going to miss you." 
I may or may not have gotten teary-eyed.


I gave a cumulative final today: 70 questions along with a 3-5 paragraph essay. It took most of them about an hour and forty-five minutes to finish it.  It was tough.
But guess what?
I have 80 students. Their average score was 85%.
Not too shabby.
I did a little victory dance at the scantron reading machine, not even caring that the teachers in line behind me looked at me like I was a crazy woman. With scores like that, I felt like celebrating.
I just wish I was there on Monday to tell them how wonderfully, fabulously, smart they are.
But as much as I don't want to, I have to wave goodbye and face what the future has to offer me. Let the games begin.

No comments :

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...