May 01, 2014

Hipster

 photo custommark_zpsc175fff6.png
hip·ster1
Hipsters are a subculture of men and women typically in their 20's and 30's that value independent thinking, counter-culture, progressive politics, an appreciation of art and indie-rock, creativity, intelligence, and witty banter. 

source
I've been having  a debate with one of my students lately.
He insists that I'm a hipster.
I insist that I am not.
This debate has been going on for sometime, and after weeks of back and forth arguing, the aforementioned student came into my office before class today with a serious expression on his face. He sat down on the stool next to my desk, put his shoulders back, and braced himself for the ensuing altercation. The discussion we had is as follows:

Student: Ms. Russell. I was thinking about our argument last night, and I have come up with a list as to why you are a hipster.
Me: Oh yeah? Let's hear it.
He cleared his throat.
Student: Reason #1. You dress like a hipster.
Me: Um...how?
Student: Well, you don't dress like any of my other teachers. They all wear button up shirts and stuff and you don't.
Me: Okay, so what you're saying is that because I don't wear button up shirts, I'm a hipster.
Student: Yeah.
Me: Great argument.
Student: Reason #2.
He cleared his throat again.
Student: You listen to hipster music.
Me: Like what?
Student: Like, you don't listen to pop stuff. And you like Postal Service. And Chvrches.
Me: That makes me a hipster?
Student: Yeah.
Me: Okay.
A little bit more throat clearing.
Student: And the best one, Reason #3. You teach photo. I mean...c'mon. That automatically makes you a hipster.
Me: I'll concede to that one.

So I guess because I don't dress like a teacher, I like music that isn't poppy, and I teach photo, I'm now a hipster. Great. Just great. I better start wearing button up shirts.

 photo signature_zps2991df21.png

No comments :

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...