October 18, 2012

Cups, Cups, and More Cups

id·i·o·syn·cra·sy
noun, plural id·i·o·syn·cra·sies.
1.
a characteristic, habit, mannerism, or the like, that is peculiar to an individual.

My husband has a plethora of very endearing idiosyncrasies. Like, for example his habit of checking any given lock about 8,000 times before he's satisfied that it is, indeed, locked. Or, how about the fact that he eats his french fries with a fork because he, "doesn't like to get his hands greasy." Or, even better, his insistence on hanging all of his shirts in the same direction, organized by both style and color.
Yep, he's a very particular dude.
I don't usually mind though, because these customs and rituals result in a very organized and on-the-ball husband. I know that he's a rarity. I mean, who else's husband does all of the laundry, cleans the bedroom with regularity, rarely leaves clothes on the floor, pays the bills, washes the cars...you get the picture.
But, while most of his little quirks are harmless (and even, in fact, beneficial), there is one that drives me absolutely, positively INSANE. It has from the onset of our marriage, and no matter what I do, I can't seem to break him of this nasty little habit.
My husband likes to get a drink of water before bedtime. Fine. No big deal. I know a lot of people like to down a few sips before they hit the sack. But HIS cup comes back to the bedroom with us.
Why, you ask?
I couldn't answer that question. Because all he does is carry it to bed, take one last sip, and then set it on the dresser. Why couldn't he just take that last sip in the kitchen?
So then, after a few days, our dresser looks like this:
And then I, invariably, grumble about it.
Like last night. I said, "Graham...could you please, for the 900th time, take your cup to the sink in the morning??"
His response?
"Whit. You know that movie Signs where the little girl defeats the aliens because she keeps glasses of water all over the house?"
I responded in the affirmative.
So he said, "I'm just preparing myself for the next alien invasion."

No comments :

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...