April 02, 2014

M-I-A

I know, I know...my last blog post was all about re-committing myself to this blog, finding joy in writing again...yada, yada, yada.
And then I fell off the face of the earth.
Now before you think I'm a flake who doesn't follow through with her commitments, let me explain:
About a week after I wrote my most recent post, life decided to throw me a curveball.
Many of you know that I'm a teacher. I finished my credential program in January of 2012, and I had been looking for a teaching job ever since. In the meantime, I continued to work at the high school I have always worked at as a teacher's aid. Don't get me wrong...I loved my job. I got to be in the classroom every day teaching students the subjects that I love. But I wasn't THE teacher, and that was rough for me. So I continued to look and apply...to no avail.
Fast forward to January of this year. My principal called me into her office. Now just so you know, no matter how old you are, getting called into the principal's office is STILL a scary thing. Like, sweaty palms kind of scary.
I wracked my brain thinking, "Ok...am I in trouble? What did I do? I mean, I totally called a student an idiot this morning but I was totally (okay, almost totally) joking. Is that the problem? Curse my sarcastic mouth!"
Then I walked into her office, sat down, and braced myself for the worst.
Her: "Whitney?"
Me: "Yeah?"
Her: "Have you ever thought about teaching photo?"
Me: "Ummmm..." (I then trailed off into a ridiculous and awful silence)
Now, you have to understand something here. My credentials are in social science and English, and those are the ONLY subjects I have ANY experience teaching. Needless to say I was completely and totally overwhelmed by the offer. But I love photo. And I love teaching. So why not take on the challenge?
So I said yes.
And THAT, my friends, is why I have been MIA.
Building up a curriculum, especially one you have NO experience in, is just a tad bit time-consuming. And by "tad bit" I mean HUGELY time-consuming. But I've been LOVING the process. Now, this isn't a permanent teaching job. I'm technically on a limited contract, so I don't know what next year will look like. But in the meantime, I'm putting my all into this assignment, and I'm enjoying having my very own classroom.
So, pardon my absence. I'll try to be better. But I'm not promising anything.

No comments :

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...